Thursday, January 31, 2008

2L Class Meeting

My class at EMU had a meeting in 2L where we ventured to various locations and eventually settled in for a sit down discussion. It was a little rough at first as we were figuring which members were able to have voice chat and which were stuck typing. I never got my voice chat up and running, but I was able to hear. It was also odd to engage people not knowing for sure who they were. In 2L you never know who is behind the avatar. However, if you can keep the names straight, in this class at least we knew who we were talking with. Each of the avatars have a bubble over their head giving their name, so naturally you get into the habit of looking there to identify people. What I did not expect was the crossover into real life. I was at the gym and caught my eyes looking over peoples heads as if their names should appear. I think this was a sign that I have spent too much time in 2L.

Anyway, the class went well. Our professor took us to some locations that I would have never thought to even look for, such as the Sistine Chapel, a psych unit, and Shakespeares Globe Theater. I could easily use a class visit to the Globe, as my class studies Shakespeare and the Globe itself! It was also to observe 2L being used by experienced users as my professor and a friend of his smoothly had discussions, quickly took pictures, traded items, and maneuvered themselves as well as teleporting the rest of the class. It helped me to realize the potential uses of 2L rather than just wandering around. I am excited to see where we go from here!

No comments: